Specific Services Offered
- Host an informational interactive website portal which will provide current resources, links and data to current information, trade statistics, and sources of assistance.
- Email blasts and direct mail outs to disseminate relevant trade information, leads, and opportunities.
- Seminars and workshops sponsored by FFI, MDA, and MEAC. Examples include “Export 101”, “Shipping Documents Requirements”, etc.
- Access to Export Assistance Programs available through the US Dept of Commerce.
- Access to participation in trade shows, trade missions, and individualized trade partner appointments in many other countries.
- Recruit international buyers to Tupelo Furniture Market.
- Interactive assistance with specific trade questions. International business students at Mississippi State University and trade specialists at MDA and MSEAC will be called upon for assistance with specific international trade issues.
- List of banks friendly to international trade.
- Work with the MSU College of Business and Industry to link international business interns to furniture manufacturers who can benefit from student assistance.
- Visits by trade specialists from MDA and MSEAC, and by FFI to furniture manufacturers seeking export assistance and guidance.
- Access to international trade specialists in other countries through MDA and US Dept of Commerce.
Current Market Spotlight: United Kingdom
Why United Kingdom?
- The UK has the sixth largest economy in the world, estimated 2012 GDP of $2.4 trillion and is currently growing at a quarterly rate of .08 percent with a forecasted growth in 2014 at 2.4 percent. The U.S.-UK investment relationship is the largest in the world with a cumulative bilateral stock in direct investment valued at more than $990 billion in 2011. More than 7,500 U.S. businesses have a presence in the UK.
- The UK is a major international trading power with the UK market being the largest in Europe and the fifth largest in the world for U.S. goods exports; with few trade barriers, it is the entry market into the EU for more than 41,000 U.S. exporters. U.S. goods and services exported to the UK were estimated to be worth nearly $110 billion in 2012. One of the closest U.S. allies the UK is one of the largest markets for U.S. goods exports, ranking 5th in Mississippi exports of furniture and related products in 2013 and 3rd in total U.S. furniture exports.
- The U.S. and the United Kingdom belong to a number of the same international organizations including the United Nations, North Atlantic Treaty Organization, Euro-Atlantic Partnership Council, Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, International Monetary Fund, World Bank, and World Trade Organization. The U.S. and UK continually consult on foreign policy issues and global concerns, and share major foreign and security policy objectives.